Brooklands race circuit information from Wikipedia – Brooklands was 2.75 mile (4.43 km) motor racing circuit and airfield built near Weybridge in Surrey, England. It opened in 1907, and was the first in the world of motorsport place purpose-built,  and one of the first airfields Britain, who also became Britain’s largest center of aircraft manufacturing in 1918.
The circuit hosted its last race in 1939 and now part of it is the Brooklands Museum, a major aviation and automobile museum, and a place of old cars, motorcycles and other related transport événements.Table of Contents [hide] 1 History2 Brooklands Brooklands aérodrome3 Centenary4 days Présent5 people associated with Brooklands6 Galerie7
références8 Notes and External links [Edit] HistoriqueLe Brooklands circuit is the idea of Hugh Locke-King, and was opened on June 17 1907 as the first purpose-built racing circuit in the bank in the world. After the automobile Act of 1903, Britain has been a blanket 20 mph (32 km / h) speed limit on public roads: at a time when nearly 50% of new cars the world were produced in France, there was a concern that Britain infant automobile industry would be hampered by the inability to undertake tests at high speeds. 
Apparently, drawing on the development at Brooklands, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was built soon after and held its first race in August 1909.Exigences speed and spectator visibility led to the Brooklands track being built as a 100 ft (30 m) wide, 2.75 miles (4.43 kilometers) long, oval tilted. The banking sector was almost 30 feet (9 m) high in places. In addition to the oval, a bisecting “last mile” was built, increasing the runway length to 3.25 miles (5.23 kilometers), including 1.25 miles (2.01 km) was set aside.
It could accommodate up to 287,000 viewers at its peak.  Due to complications of laying tarmac on the banking sector, and the expense of laying asphalt, the track was built in uncoated concrete. This led some years later to a somewhat bumpy turn, the surface has suffered differential settlement over temps.Outre the center of the track ran a dotted black, known as the line of fifty feet . Driving on the line, a driver could theoretically take the banked corners without having to use the volant.Onze days after the open circuit, it hosted the first event of the engine 24 hours, with Selwyn leading three cars specially Napier turned around the circuit.
Over 300 railway lamps red were used to illuminate the whole track overnight. The flares were used to mark the upper limit of the track. Edge drove his car for the duration, with the pilots of two other cars taking transfer approach more familiar. One of the best drivers in SF Edge, Miss Dorothy Levitt, was refused entry, despite being the “first English-woman to compete in a race car” in 1903, and the holding of the “Ladies World Land Speed Record” . Women were not allowed to compete for several années
.Comptez Zborowski with Chitty Bang Bang at a race at Brooklands in Brooklands.Une 1930.George E. Stanley broke the record of one hour at Brooklands race track on a motorcycle Singer in 1912, becoming the first pilot of a 350 cc motorbike to cover over 60 miles (97 km) in a world record heure.Le for the first person to cover 100 miles (160 km) in one hour was set by Percy E. Lambert at Brooklands, 15 February 1913, when driving his Talbot side-valve 4.5-liter. It actually covered 103 miles, yards (1,470 167.1 miles) in 60 minutes.
A contemporary film of his exploits on that day are available at the Museum Brooklands.Au during the First World War, Brooklands closed to motor racing and was requisitioned by the War Ministry. Vickers Aviation Ltd. set up a factory in 1915, Brooklands and quickly became an important center for building, testing and supply of aircraft militaires.La racing resumed in 1920 after extensive track repairs and the Grand Prix racing at Brooklands was established in 1926 by Henry Segrave after his victories in the 1923 Grand Prix and French Grand Prix of San Sebastián, the following year sparked an interest in sport in Britain.
The first British Grand Prix was won by Louis Wagner and Robert Sénéchal, sharing the drive in a Delage 155B. The second British Grand Prix was staged in 1927 and these two events resulted in the improvement of facilities at Brooklands.En 1930, the Daily Herald offered a trophy for the fastest driver at an event to Brooklands. The first year, Birkin and Don Kaye attended oppose Bentley Blower hikers, with Kaye won with a speed of 137.58 mph (221.41 km / h). In 1932, Birkin won driving his Red “Monoposto” Bentley Blower No. 1, clocking 137.96 mph (222.03 km / h).  The record was two years before being beaten by John Cobb lead the 24-liter Napier-Railton, who holds the lap record of all time at 143.44 mph (230.84 kmh).
Over the years 1930, Brooklands also hosted events massed start cycle races organized by the Union of National Riders “(as the governing body of sport, the NCU banned such events on public roads). In 1939, he was used as a location for the film Will Hay, ask a policeman.  When the Second World War broke out in 1939, racing has ceased and the site was handed over to the war-time production of military aircraft.
Part of the track was damaged during this period by bombing enemies and a new access road to the Hawker factory was cut through Oyster Lane. Other sections were also covered by the temporary hangars dispersion. Racing returned to Brooklands for a day in 2009 when the track has been recreated in full scale for a slot car racing, as part of a television show.  [Edit] aérodromeBrooklands Brooklands also became one of Britain airfields first. In 1908 witnessed the first flight tests of driving and towing a British full-size aircraft powered by a British pilot, Alliott Verdon-Roe. In the summer of 1910, and Hilda Hewlett Gustave Blondeau opened the first school in Britain, flying at Brooklands. Hewlett and Blondeau also began their aircraft manufacturing company, Hewlett & Blondeau Limited, on the site before moving to larger premises in Leagrave, Bedfordshire.
In February 1912, Thomas Sopwith opened his flying school and Sopwith, that June, Sopwith, with several others, set up the Sopwith Aviation Company here although their main premises were at Kingston upon Thames. Bleriot, Martinsyde, Vickers and later produced military aircraft at Brooklands which became Britain’s largest center of aircraft manufacturing in 1918. Many flight schools operated here before 1914 and the airfield became a major training center for flight between the two guerres.Brooklands Aviation Ltd. was established in 1931 as a holding company to operate the airfield, and set service airport architect Graham Dawbarn British design art deco Brooklands Aero Club, which opened in May 1932. The company also operated Brooklands School of Flying resident, as well as those in Lympne Aerodrome, Sywell Shoreham and late 1930s.
The original pre-WW1 Brooklands Aero Club was re-formed by the BARC in May 1930 with Brad Percy, ey as a director and the Brooklands Flying Club was created by Brooklands Aviation in early 1933. Brooklands Aviation has won a contract to the Ministry of War pilot training for the Royal Air Force.  and opened No. 6 Elementary Flying Training School at Sywell June 10, 1935, pilot training with a fleet of 20 De Havilland Tiger butterflies, and in 1937 the RAF Volunteer Reserve School was established at Sywell with another 16 training aircraft. During WW2, Brooklands Aviation became an entrepreneur in the Organisation for civil damages, repair of various types of aircraft damaged, especially Vickers Wellington. After completing his RAF training flight in 1946, the company has diversified and built of plywood and fiberglass boats cabin cruiser designed by Alan Eckford until 1974. 
In the Second World War, the site was again used for the production of military aircraft, particularly the Vickers Wellington Vickers Warwick Hawker Hurricane and was heavily camouflaged. Trees were planted in some sections of the concrete path to help conceal the Hawker and Vickers aircraft factories there. Despite these efforts, the Vickers was successfully bombed by the Luftwaffe and badly damaged Sept. 4, 1940, with nearly 90 workers had at least 419 killed and wounded.
The Hawker factory premises were also bombed and damaged two days later, but no loss of life or serious disruption in production hurricane. On September 21, 1940, Lieutenant John MacMillan Stevenson Patton of Royal Canadian Engineers risked his life he and five other mauled a German unexploded bomb away from the Hawker aircraft factory at Brooklands and rolled in a bomb crater existing where it started later, safe – his bravery was then recognized by the award of the George Cross.
The crucial role of Brooklands in the Battle of Britain of 1940 is now explained in an exhibition at Brooklands.Usine Vickers Brooklands.Après war, the circuit was in poor condition and was sold to Vickers-Armstrong 1946 for continued use as an aircraft factory. New aircraft types, including Viking, Valetta, Varsity, Viscount, Vanguard and VC10 were subsequently designed, manufactured and shipped from là.En 1951, construction of a new runway required a hard section of the Bank of motor circuit Byfleet famous for being removed to allow Vickers Valiant V-bombers flew to Wisley airfield nearby that offered a longer runway and surrounding built less than Brooklands.
The airfield opened a flight test for Vickers in 1944 and used until 1972 (most recently by the BAC). After considerable expansion with the growing commercial success in the 1950s, the Vickers expanded to its maximum size in the 1960s to the early preparation of the manufacturing program VC10 and became an important part of the new British Aircraft Corporation in 1960. Substantial investment in the site is currently seen many new buildings and also modified the existing premises.
First, in the mid-1950s, came a new assembly hall for the Vickers Viscount known as “B.1” (probably because it consisted of a number of standards in wartime B.1 type hangars reused (with a .2 T hangars too) and rebuilt as a parallel long bay double structure of the track. A major new 60,378 m² warehouse VC10 flight was ready for the prototype aircraft in 1962 and VC10 a second flight even larger (98,989 m²) was paid off this added in 1964. This was probably the largest aircraft hangar in Europe at the time and became known locally as the hangar “The Abbey “while the little shed was called” The Cathedral.
“The huge factory at Brooklands went to the design and. build BAC TSR.2, One-Eleven and Concorde for large assemblies Unfortunately, the cancellation by the Labour government of the TSR-2 in 1965 and the disappointing lack of significant orders for VC10s and Concord saw the contract factory from the 1970s, it became part of the newly formed British Aerospace 1977 and finally closed in 1988-89, although BAE Systems maintain a logistics center there today. In 1987 Brooklands Museum Trust was formed with Sir Peter Masefield G as president, and started recording, the research, preserve and interpret all aspects of the heritage site. The Museum project began after a successful exhibition on temporary Brooklands was staged in 1977 by Elmbridge Museum in Weybridge and with the support of British Aerospace, Elmbridge Borough Council, Gallaher Ltd and many dedicated people, which led to the selection of a 30-acre heritage site in the NE corner of Brooklands.
As for events in aviation, automotive and other times since the mid-1980s, the Museum also staged regular fly-ins for visiting light aircraft from 1990 to 2003 using the northern half of the original tarmac and staff these events with any – Volunteer équipe.Brooklands made a notable appearance on television when he starred in the 1990 disappearance of Mr. Davenheim episode of Agatha Christie’s Poirot, Hercule Poirot when investigating a crime involving a racing driver. Bank of Brooklands was also used as a “place of road” in an episode of The Bill where the CID foiled an armed robbery and resulted in a “shoot out”.
American car enthusiast Barry Meguiar ( President and CEO of Meguiar) presented the Brooklands on his car show Speed Channel fou.Mercedes-Benz World at Brooklands.Au early 2004 the central area of Brooklands including the hard runway and parts of remaining circuitry have been sold to DaimlerChrysler UK Retail and Mercedes-Benz World is open to the public October 29, 2006. This figure includes some test tracks of the vehicle and an off-road track and includes a conference center and large halls Mercedes-exposure Benz.
Après important work earlier by The Brooklands Society (which is entirely independent of Brooklands Museum), some buildings (including the 1907 BARC Clubhouse, the Office of Flight 1911 and 1932 tickets Brooklands Aero Clubhouse) structures and the remaining sections of the first track has become the subject of preservation orders in 1975 and this legal protection was considered by English Heritage and has increased by DCMS in 2002).
A draft conservation plan Brooklands was initiated by English Heritage in 2003 and prepared by consultants Terence O’Rourke DCUK and is due to be revised and updated soon. [Edit] BrooklandsBrooklands Centennial engine of course celebrated its centenary on 16 / June 17, 2007. Throughout 2007, several special events were organized by Brooklands Museum to celebrate its 100th anniversary. Activities included the use of the bank Byfleet for the first time in nearly 70 years, a demonstration of Formula One McLaren-Mercedes, driven by Gary Paffett in collaboration with Mercedes-Benz World and a 24-hour race slot car SF Edge commemorate completion driving for 24 hours on average over 100 mph (161 kmh).  [Edit] actuellePartie The Bank of Deputies, 30 September 2007.
The modern companies based in Brooklands today include Argos, BAE Systems, Currys, PC World, Japan Tobacco, Marks & Spencer, Mercedes-Benz World , Mothercare, Nomalites, Procter & Gamble, Sony, The Pod Storage, Tesco and John Lewis.Brooklands Museum houses many historic aircraft including the Vickers Wellington bomber recovered from Loch Ness in 1985, a British Airways Concorde G-BBDG Concorde in the UK’s first production, and more recently the 40% scale model of the “G-CONC” gate guardian at Heathrow. There are also many other commercial and military aircraft on display, including a Vanguard Vickers Viscount, VC10.
The majority of these rooms were built at Brooklands or have close links with the site. The VC10 was built and first flew at Brooklands and after air transport service with British United and later British Caledonian Airways, has become the official airline VIP for the Sultan of Oman until retirement in July 1987 and offered by the Sultan of Oman Royal Flight. Although the circuit is no longer passable, it can be simulated in the Spirit of Speed 1937 game for the PC and Sega Dreamcast, in which he has been recreated in detail .
Several other games also have Brooklands and Brooklands Museum in Formula 1 simulator also has a detailed computer simulation of the track before the war. In 2009, BBC Top Gear presenter James May has announced plans Brooklands to recreate the full length using Scalextric track and cars.  This was undertaken with a team of 350 volunteers to build the track from countless pieces of Scalextric track, ponds and navigation routes, closely following the route of the old Brooklands track . This event broke the Guinness world record for the longest Scalextric track ever in the world, designed to measure the original 2.75 miles (4.43 kilometers) of the original Brooklands circuit, but in reality the two recording , 95 miles (4.75 kilometers) long (because of the need to navigate modern features that block the original course).
The episode was broadcast on BBC2 November 17, 2009 as part of Toy Story James May.BBC TV Antiques Roadshow filmed at Brooklands Museum in July 2009 and then established two programs for the next series – the latter being of First broadcast on 10 and 17 January 2010.Outre presentations and exhibitions to be seen at Brooklands Museum, today there are a number of memorials at Brooklands. The first of these is the “Brooklands Memorial” built by Vickers-Armstrong at the 50th anniversary of the opening of the course and engine was unveiled by Lord Brabazon of Tara in July 1957.
This impressive monument concrete face featured some beautiful bronze letters, the registration plate and related summarizing the site’s history from 1907 to 1957 and was originally located at the north end of the airfield, was designated as a scheduled monument in 2002, then moved and restored in a new position just east of the River Wey on the museum site to make way for the new Mercedes-Benz World complex which opened in 2006. The original bronze fittings were stolen in the 1970s, but the plate was later found and is now displayed in the main lobby of the former BARC Clubhouse.
A second memory dedicated to aircraft design and manufacturing heritage of Brooklands was specially designed and manufactured by British Aerospace in the 1980s to mark the closure of its last factory there and takes the form of an engraved acrylic panel Large displayed at the southern end of the old track near the entracne Community Park and nurseries for children.
Overgrown in recent years, it has recently been rediscovered and is still in good condition. Another initiative was taken in the 1990s by SA Trafalgar Brookmount developers who commissioned an artist to design and produce two large “statements Gate ‘brown clay, they are located at the eastern end of Wellington Road and the southern end of the promenade and functionality Sopwith representative images of Brooklands’ pre-1940 history to know the Napier-Railton, Vickers Vimy and the two former clubs. Finally, in 1993, HRH Prince Michael of Kent officially opened a new Garden of Memories at Brooklands Museum, which has a growing number of commemorative plaques in memory of many people who have been associated with Brooklands in 105 years. Undo edits
This page was last modified
Get our WEEKLY email with the highlight video & news articles from the last 7 days.
Check out our previous Newsletters